Sheffield Medical Centre 21 Spital Street Burngreave Sheffield S3 9LB 0114 2727042
Sheffield Medical Centre21 Spital StreetBurngreaveSheffield S3 9LB 0114 2727042

How to Complain



If you have a complaint or concern about the service you have received from the medical centre please let us know.


Complaints Officer is Mrs Julie King (Practice Manager).


How Do I Raise My Concerns


If you have a complaint or concern, the practice hopes that this can be sorted out at the time it arises and with the person concerned. If the problem cannot be sorted out this way and you wish to make a complaint, please let us know as soon as possible. This should ideally be within a few days of the problem occurring as this will help us to find out what happened more easily. If this is not possible, you must let us have the details of your complaint/concern:

Within 12 months of the problem happening: or

Within 12 months of discovering you have a problem.


Written complaints should be addressed to Julie King, Practice Manager, or you may ask to see her to discuss your concerns. The complaints procedure will be explained to you and she will make sure that your concerns are dealt with promptly. It will help us enormously if you could tell us all the details of your complaint. Any complaints/concerns about the Practice Manager will be dealt with by one of the Partners. 


Verbal complaints will be recorded by a member of staff. (Please ask if you will need an interpreter). If you require any assistance then the Patient Services Team are available on 0114 2712400, as are the Independent Complaints Advisory Service on 0808 802 3000 (email This is a free and confidential service that offers support to people who are making a complaint about the NHS.  




Contact the Sheffield Advocacy Hub Citizens Advice Sheffield who offer a free and confidential service.


The service provides NHS complaints advocacy for children, young people and adults who reside in Sheffield and who wish to make a complaint through the NHS complaints procedure. It is a statutory service and everyone has the right to access an advocate.


More information can be found on the website

Or by telephoning Freephone 0800 035 0396

Or by emailing

Or by fax 0114 509495



Postal address:


Sheffield Advocacy Hub

Citizens Advice Sheffield

Michael Carlisle Centre

75 Osborne Road


S11 9BF


Hearing Impaired

If you are hearing impaired and require a signer, then we can arrange this for you. Please ask at reception


or post your concern in the Green Suggestion Box in the practice foyer. 


What we will do


We will acknowledge your complaint and offer to discuss this within three working days. We will aim to:

Find out what happened

Make it possible for all parties concerned to be involved in the discussion if you would like this.

Make sure the problem does not happen again by identifying what the practice can do.

Provide a written response in line with NHS Complaints Regulations 2009.

Make sure you receive an apology where this is appropriate


We will agree timescales to deal with your complaint/concern and investigate it in a proper and appropriate manner. We will give you an explanation on how it has been resolved including what action has been taken.



Complaining of behalf of someone else


Please note that the practice keeps strictly to the rules of confidentiality. If your complaint/concern is on behalf of another person, we will have to have the permission of that person for you to act on their behalf. Please ask at reception for a patient consent form. Exceptions to this will be because the person is incapable due to illness, or is too young or is deceased.


Alternative Ways To Raise Your Concerns


We hope that if a problem arises, you will use our practice complaints procedure. We believe that  addressing your problem this way will give us the best chance of putting things right in the shortest time and will give us the opportunity to improve our practice if needs be. This does not affect your right if you wish to address your written complaint directly to the:


NHS England Customer Contact Centre.


By post

NHS England, PO Box 16738, Redditch, B97 9PT


By email

With ‘For the attention of the complaints team’ in the subject line


By telephone

0300 311 22 33 (Monday to Friday 8am to 6pm, excluding English Bank Holidays)



Who handles your complaint?


Sheffield Medical Centre 

Tel: 0114 2727042 (ask for Julie King, Practice Manager)




If you are not satisfied with the final response, you have the right to contact:


The Health Service Ombudsman

Millbank Tower



Tel: 0345 015 4033 (calls charged at local rate from anywhere in the UK)

Fax: 020 7217 4000




Print Print | Sitemap
© Sheffield Medical Centre